Thursday, November 13, 2003

There is a letter in STREATS today, complaining about MOE's maths questions. Apparently the syllabus uses the terms 12pm and 12am in their questions. Well, what's wrong with that, you ask? The guy goes on to explain.

YOu see, "pm" and "am" refer to "post-"(after) or "ante-"(before) meridian(all together now, me-RI-I-I-di-A-A-A-A-N-N-N), which is the imaginary line that runs along the earth's longitude, at the point where Earth is closest to the sun. Hence, at that point, i.e. 12 o'clock, no one is 'after' or 'before' the meridian, but acutally on it. So it should be referred to as '12 noon', hence the world afternoon, the instant that position is past. Similarly, there is no such thing as 12am. It is 12 midnight. He asks why something that may seem correct, but is actually wrong is being taught in school.

Oh crap. I've been using the wrong terms for time. My life is a lie.... I am unable to live... *jumps off a building*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home