Thursday, March 11, 2004

I just read a wonderful letter in the TODAY newspaper.

I refer to the article, "Reality chick" (Today, March 8). I want to thank the writer, Mr Neil Humphreys, because reading the article made my mother's day.
My mother is a "real woman" who was feeling neglected and unappreciated.
The article was sweet vindication for her in the face of all her women "friends" who ridiculed her choice to stay at home and raise her family.
I do not support today's brand of feminism, which has lost its original aim. Feminism began nobly by seeking a more egalitarian society and respect for women.
Paradoxically, the "feminist brats" of today do nothing more than reinforce negative gender stereotypes.
It's annoying to read about how women must stand up for themselves in a world of men when women make up 50 per cent of the world's population.
In fact, I think that women's liberation has enslaved men.
It is acceptable for a woman to stay home and wait for her husband to "bring home the bacon". It is also acceptable for a woman to work.
In fact, I think that women have greater freedom of choice than men. After all, men can't wait for their wives to bring home the bacon — not without ridicule. Isn't it time for a men's liberation movement?
If feminism wants to redefine the notion of being female, then men should have the right to redefine notions of manhood.
And if feminists want to lament their position in society, remember the maids.
Feminism should champion the cause of women such as these who are belittled by others, men and women alike.
Discrimination does exist. I live with it. But I feel no overwhelming compulsion to define myself in a world of men — I only need to define myself in the world.


The fact that this is written by a woman makes it all the more powerful.

Maybe one day, there will be no more men. Maybe one day, when cloning is available, all the women will kill all the men, become lesbians and rule the world. Maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home